Saturday, January 12, 2013

Happy 2 Year Surgiversary!

Yep! Hard to believe... it's my 2 year Surgiversary! TWO years ago today, I had my LIFE CHANGING Gastric Bypass Surgery.


I have lost a total of about 120 pounds, but I have gained so much more!
Leading up to January 12th, 2011 -- I had much excitement and fear. Fear not only of the surgery itself but of my life after surgery. Yes, there were times when I was nauseous, craved food I could not have, had dumping syndrome after being served 'not so diet' lemonade, and thrown up my fair share of chicken. The weeks right after surgery were no cake walk (pun intended). Surgery hurts, the gas pain hurts. But then it starts to wear off, and so does the memory of it as you begin to see the amazing results of your commitment.

However, there have been many more times when I have looked in the mirror and been shocked at what I saw -- 1 chin! Size LARGE shirts! Size 10/12 jeans! I would never give up the time that I completed a 5k race on my 30th Birthday with Richard and my Dad last year. I love that I can now shop in the regular stores. I even love that now I wear Spanx so that my extra skin doesn't jiggle so much, instead of it just compressing my size 24 belly. It's ok that ice cream makes me sick, and I've learned that rice and pasta do not have to be staples in the Southern Diet. They DO serve UN-sweet tea in North Carolina :o) and I'm the Splenda Queen -- always have a baggie of it in my pocketbook. I love the new confidence I have in myself. I knew I always had it, but my weight was hindering it. I amin control of my own health. I have squashed that old BMI of 49.7 and gotten it to "overweight." I am determined to get to "NORMAL". My LDL and Triglycerides are even in the lower side of normal now! I don't fear the scale now. Don't get me wrong, I don't like the scale - but we have a love/hate relationship and it does not rule me.

I will always be a food addict. The last 6 months have beeen trying, and I have realized even more that WLS is a tool -- I still have to work at being healthy. Exercise - yeah, I still don't like it BUT we bought a treadmill and I am working on getting my HDL Cholesterol higher. I am now working on losing these "last" 20 pounds. I am happy with my size right now, but I would like to lose 20 more in order to be a more optimal weight for my health. As much as 2011 was a life-changing year, we all have the capability of making the most of each and every day in order to achieve the best health possible.

I can't wait to see what Year 3 POST OP has for me!

2 comments:

  1. I am so proud of you! You are an amazing person, and friend, you have always been, no matter what weight. But I understand that finally losing it, you gain things you never thought you would. The small stuff is so big! I love you and am praying for an amazing and productive year :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so proud of you, Jennifer!

    ReplyDelete

thanks for leavin' us some love!